Today, I'm going to be talking a little about a huge problem in the jersey industry today...
There was an article that appeared on sportslogos.net the other day, that showed the problems that can come from buying a fake jersey online...
Besides the obvious upside down logo, you can also see that the NHL logo is not in the collar insert! There are probably quite a few other mistakes that you can't see from this picture...
Now I'm not 100% sure that our readers need a few tips when dealing with fakes, but with the whole Fanatics/Adizero process, fakes are probably going to be more and more common. So here's 5 tips and things to look for...
1. The quality of the logo.
- Many fakes have logos that are way off proportion, and look like they've were drawn by a 4-year-old
- Ex.- The worst fake I've ever seen was during a Wild game I was at, and the college aged student had a road jersey with the logo stretching from the side stitching to side stitching, and the height didn't change from the correct logo...
- Logos will also be bubbly, and the colors could be off...
- A fake jersey's numbers will also be bubbly and may not look like their supposed too. Ex.- The Jets italicized numbers might be too much, or not enough.
- The numbers might also look like plastic, and will even have fake stitching... The colors might also be off...
- While not everyone will notice it, fakes can sometimes add or take away something...
- Like the American flag numbers on a Habs jersey for a Canadian player...
- The wrong shoulder patches
- The collar is completely wrong
- The NHL shield is missing
- The colors are wrong.
- Ex.- On Thursday of last week, I went to go see Jake Guentzel at a Sports Center in the Twin Cites. And while I was there, a man was wearing a Minnesota Wild jersey with all of the cream elements were snow white...
- Players that haven't played in that style, and aren't particularly famous.
- Ex.- A Jason Pominville Minnesota Wild jersey that is the new Adizero sweater. (Pominville just got traded back to the Sabres this off season, so he has never worn it.)
- Ex.2- A Taylor Hall jersey in the new Oilers orange jersey
- While the prices of a real jersey are insane, the same can be said for a fake...
- $5 for a jersey? Yeah that's a fake...
- There are some websites that sell authentics that are cheaper than buying from the NHL, but it's usually only $50 to $75 dollars off...
Now you also might be saying that it doesn't matter about the quality, as long as your saving a buck... While this might be true for you, remember that a majority of these fakes are made in sweatshops over seas, and there can be child labor involved. While this might not be the case every time, it's better safe than sorry...
Don't forget that we have our regular COTW voting, as well as our 2nd Quarter voting. And since the next entries for the HJC Open were due today at Noon EST, you can start voting for the Semis right now!!!
HJC Open Semis vote
2nd Quarter vote
COTW July 7-13 vote
On to the Concepts!
Stéphane S.- Anaheim Ducks (NHL)
Stéphane starts us off with their fix of the Anaheim Ducks!
- I really like the striping pattern, and how simple it is. It really works well for the Ducks, without over doing it like the current pattern.
- I also really like how you made it intentional on what you were doing on the concept. That's not something that you see often, and sometimes it leaves, us, the writers and readers, a little confused, so good job on the explanation
- I LOVE THE COLLAR INSERT! (Which says "Quack, Quack, Quack - G. Bombay)
- The presentation is fantastic!
- I understand why you have the Adidas collar, but it doesn't look good...
- The Ducks seem to be pushing orange more, (as well as the whole league, generally, seems to be moving to brighter colors,) so the numbers should be outlined in orange, or at least have orange in the outline.
- I'd also like to see equipment...
Kevin D.- Calgary Flames (NHL)
Next up we have Kevin's Flames concept!
- I love the simplified striping pattern, as well as the fact that it matches better now!
- I love the shoulder patches!
- The un-italicized N&#OB looks great!
- This might be the template, but the bottom of the jersey looks a little empty
- I'd really like to see a road jersey with this set...
Jets96- Toronto Maple Leafs (NHL)
Our third concept of the Day goes to Jets and his Leafs Concept!
- I like the matching striping pattern for the socks, arms, and hems!
- I like the workmark inside the leaf for the helmet logo!
- The shoulder yoke looks out of place. It doesn't have the same thickness and spacing as the other striping, and it clutters up the look.
- I also don't like the small white lip on the bottom of the breezers. I'm not sure if this was intentional, but either way it doesn't look good...
Christian L.- Los Angeles Kings (NHL)
Christian bases his LA Kings concept off of a prototype from before the Kings first season in 1967, and updates it to the Adizero template!
- I love the striping pattern!
- The logo isn't the best, but it is better than the original!
- The presentation is phenomenal!
- I also like the pants striping, and the crown logo there!
- Collars are great!
- The YOW syndrome isn't bad on the purple jersey, but it really affects the numbers on the white jersey...
- I also would have liked to see the crown's on the numbers (So number crowns?) or as shoulder patches.
Lucas D.- 2018 NHL All-Star Game
Lucas brings us his prediction for the 2018 All-Star game!
- I love the sleeve-length yoke!
- The bolt effect is also great!
- I also like the colors picked for the each one of the jerseys!
- I'd like to see a backside of each of these to get the full feel of the jersey
- The grey NHL shield doesn't work very well on the black jersey
- The lightning bolt on the pants seems to be a little over kill of the bolts, and it doesn't include blue or grey...
Anthony C.- Toronto Metros
Anthony gets on the board with his fictional team, the Toronto Metropolitans!
- I like the striping pattern!
- The color scheme is also great!
- Good presentation!
- The logo is ripped off from the NBA All-Star game...
- The whole design is very similar to the Habs, so
- 1. It's not very original, and
- 2. I'm not sure any Torontonian would want to cheer for a team that looks very close to the Habs!
- The shoulder patch isn't the best either...
Ryan C.- Nashville Predators (NHL)
Ryan helps us finish the day off with a Nashville Preds concept!
- I like the more yellow added into the road jersey!
- The simple striping pattern is great, and much better than what they just unveiled...
- I really like the NP shoulder patch!
- The yellow helmet is starting to grow on me, so the blue helmet kind of looks out of place...
- The road jersey also looks a lot like the Stars Road jersey too...
- It also reminds me of your COTY from 2015 for the Sabres...
Well that's all from me, you Tuesday writer, Chase! Come back for more!