Hello again, and welcome, Hockey Fans, to this Tuesday's post!
What a weird game last night... How do you not get a shot on goal in the ENTIRE second period, and still win with 5 goals??? WHAT IS GOING ON?!?!?!?
Anyways, there's not much jersey news, but we do know a few things from Gary Bettman's State of the League Address yesterday...
Every team is unveiling their jerseys for next year by the draft...
And that the Capitals and Leafs will be playing in an outdoor game at the home of the Navy Midshipmen in Annapolis next March...
So hockey jersey news should be pretty busy over the next couple of months!
We also have the regular COTW comp. going on, as well has the HJC Open (logo contest)!!! But we need a logo first! You design it and submit it by June 9th, and if it wins, we'll use it for the Open Comp. It' one of the few competitions that you get to design a logo for here on HJC! It's very exciting!
COTW May 19-25
HJC Open Logo Comp Entries Due
On to the concepts!
Cody R.- Worcester IceCats (Defunct AHL)We start off with a concept for the now defunct Worcester IceCats from the AHL, who are now the Utica Comets!
- I like the homage to old sweaters! I also really like the number font with the spikes on it.
- Striping pattern on all the sweaters looks great!
- I also really like the White shoulder yoke on the Navy sweater
- Darkening the blue to navy on the regular set was a great choice
- I don't like the Affiliate or Worcester shoulder patches. They feel out of place...
- I also wish that the numbers on the alt were used on all 3 sweaters...
My rating: A fantastic update for a now Defunct team! 9/10 and my COTW NOMINEE!!!!!
FC M.- Brunei (IIHF-ASEAN series)
Next up is a concept for the tiny country of Brunei as part of FC's ASEAN series!
- There's a lot creative ideas here! I really like it!
- The flag pattern is a really cool idea for the pants and socks!
- There's just WAY WAY WAY too much going on here...
- I don't understand the green or orange
- The weird square pattern doesn't make much sense...
- You also have a lot of executions errors
- Back numbers are off centered and WAY too big...
- TV numbers are too small
- Captain's patches are also way too small
My rating: You're taking on a big series here, designing a whole league... And a lot of the decisions you make creatively don't make sense or fit the country. As far as I know, green and orange are not part of Brunei's flag scheme... Slow down, and focus on the little details to find a little more consistency... 4/10
Anthony C.- Vegas Golden Knights (NHL)
Anthony gives us his interpretation of what he thinks the Golden Knights will look like!
- I really like the stripes on the pants! Those are great!
- I also like the striping patterns!
- The Vegas wordmark works very well as a chest stripe logo...
- I also like the shoulder yokes!
- The gold is a little dark, and should be more contrasted with the black...
- There should also still be a little slate grey left in the uniforms and logos...
- The TV numbers are WAY too small...
My rating: It's good, but there's not much to be excited about... 7/10
Tyler M.-S.- Pittsburgh Penguins 3rd (NHL)
Tyler has the next concept! This is his concept for the Penguins third jersey!
- I like the resemblance to the Penguins Stadium Series jersey.
- I like the chest stripe with the colored sleeves!
- I also like the solid black collar
- Good choice on the yellow helmet!
- I also like that the font isn't the weird cut-out spray paint font that they used for the series...
- I don't like the logo choice...
- I also don't like the yellow sleeve cuff. It's pointless when it's that small, as no one is going to see it on the ice...
- The TV numbers could be a little bigger
My rating: A great update of the Stadium Series jerseys! 8/10
Tyler M.-S.- Vegas Golden Knights (NHL)
Tyler's second concept of the day is another Knights concept!
- I really like the "V" striping pattern!
- I also like the black equipment!
- This set reminds me of the 2004 Calgary Flames!
- While I like the striping, especially on the road, the gold isn't balanced properly... The road jersey needs just a little more gold, and the home needs less...
My rating: I really like this concept, but the color balance being off holds this back... 8.5/10
Anthony C.- Pittsburgh Penguins (NHL)
Anthony finishes off the day with another Penguins concept!
- I really like the gold home jersey!
- I also like the matching striping pattern!
- I also like the golden triangle captain's patch!
- The most glaring problem is the lack of yellow on the road jersey...
- I also don't like the collars. A solid color would look better.
My rating: Color balance is a very important thing... 6.5/10
Well that's all from me, you Tuesday writer, Chase! Come back for more!