Hey guys, I'm back! Big thanks to Jets96 for covering me last week.
Busy night news wise last night, as the NHL unveiling the remaining outdoor games for next season. In case you missed it here's what we have:
Heritage Classic: Edmonton at Winnipeg
Centennial Classic: Detroit at Toronto
Winter Classic: Chicago at St. Louis
Stadium Series: Philadelphia at Pittsburgh
So obviously the Heritage Classic was announced a few days previous to the rest, and the remainder yesterday. As far as I'm aware we don't really know what to expect jersey wise, but the Heritage Classic jerseys are supposedly nothing new and just pulled from the teams' histories. Could that mean a matchup like this?
Overall I'm quite excited to see the jerseys for these, and if they're going to have the Hawks in so many of these games, I'm hoping they pull out something new at least.
This week we have the usual COTW vote, along with the Buffalo Sabres third jersey competition. A lot of potential for a good design that seemingly only the Sabres themselves don't seem to capitalize on, so it'll be fun to see what you guys can come up with for them. Also, if you would like to enter the pairs competition still, find a partner and tell Ryan, or just tell Ryan and he'll pair you up. It's never too late to enter.
COTW-February vote (ends Friday @ 11:59pm Eastern)
COTW Feb 29 - Mar 5 vote (ends Friday @ 11:59pm Eastern)
Buffalo 3rd Jersey entries (due Friday @ 10:59pm Eastern)Sabres Entries:
Jay S. - Phoenix Suns
+ Nice job incorporating their current basketball jersey design into this design.
+ Almost looks like something the Blues would do, and sorta have done in the 90s.
+ Really like the font.
- The jerseys look a bit plain for a hockey jersey. I'd add something to spice it up.
- The logo isn't bad, but I think there are better choices, such as one of these. That's probably very subjective though.
- The colors are pretty unbalanced throughout the set, and unless It's just me, the shade of purple on the pants for the white jersey looks different than anywhere else.
Taylor R. - Ohio State Buckeyes
+ Well that's not something you see everyday.
+ Good color balancing.
+ I like the gray being used as a light jersey.
- That shade of gray looks like it might be too dark.
- If I was looking at just the backs of the jerseys, I'd say the design is too plain. However, I don't see an obvious fix to that one, at least not one that'll work with the front chest stripe, so this could have been the best option to take anyways.
Lucas D. - Buffalo Sabres
+ Good choice returning to the classic color palette.
+ This is definitely quite a unique design.
- I think it's too busy though.
- The white and yellow clash too much when they're together, especially on the name/number outlines.
- Speaking of those, I think they just detract from the visibility. If you couldn't figure out a better way for them to work, I'd get rid of them on both jerseys.
Lucas D. - Ottawa Senators
+ Logo is a huge upgrade.
+ I actually quite like the removal of gold.
+ I also like how the design plays off of the current alternate's design.
- The font doesn't work with this type of design, stick with a block font.
- Those Adidas stripes...oh god why. Highly doubt those are there because you like them though, so I can't blame you if that's the case.
Overall: 9/10 and my COTW nomination
Zeke G. - Ottawa Senators
+ Like I touched on in the last concept, the gold works really well on this one.
+ The design here also looks to possibly play off of the current alts a bit.
+ Definitely agree with the choice to "double" the design on the arms.
- I think the updated version of that logo would fit much better.
- The logo on the helmet is incredibly pixelated.
- A lot of the template lines also look really blurry, and I think you also have the template outline for the back of the jersey shifted to the right a bit.
John E. - Pittsburgh Penguins
+ As I seem to have mentioned a lot on this post, nice choice with the color palette.
+ Huge upgrade from what the Pens currently wear.
+ Chest stripes work well with this logo.
+ Not sure why this stands out specifically, but I really like the way the white yoke looks on the black jersey.
+ I like how you tried to incorporate some blue into the look, but...
- I think it needs to be throughout the jerseys a bit more. It looks off being only in the logo.
- The font doesn't look like it fits very well here.
And that's a wrap for today. I hope you enjoyed the post, thanks for reading, and I'll see you guys again next week.