HJC News

News

Friday: Great Concepts

Hello folks!  It's a great day for concepts.  There are seven in total, and they're all high quality.  Too good to make you wait and read a long intro, so instead let's get right to the concepts.

---------------------------------------------------

However, before we get to the concepts I must remind you about the ongoing votes.  The Sabres 3rd Jersey vote ends today at 10:59pm eastern, and the regular COTW voting ends an hour later at 11:59pm.  There's also the Best Outdoor Jersey vote, and the Pairs Competition which goes until March 25th.

COTW March 6-12 vote (ends Friday @ 11:59pm EST)
Buffalo Sabres 3rd Jersey Top 5 vote (ends Friday @ 10:59pm EST)
Pairs Competition (ends March 25th)

---------------------------------------------------

Indianapolis Racers (NHL Expansion), by Matt G:
The NHL is getting ready to expand, so it's the perfect time for some expansion concepts.  Indianapolis isn't in the mix, but that didn't stop Matt from creating a cool identity for a hypothetical team.  The presentation of this concept is great, it's very professional looking.  However, I have a problem with the line "Logos created by me using vectors from freepik.com".  I'm glad you credited the source of the logos, but saying you created the logos is misleading, all you did was change the words on the logos.
Moving past the logos, I like two of the three jerseys.  The home jersey with the thick arm stripes gets two thumbs up, and I also like the third jersey with the sublimated checkerboard pattern.  I'm just not a fan of how the road jersey doesn't use any dark colours in the striping.
Rating:  7/10

Bowling Green Falcons, by Taylor R:
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I love when jerseys match but they're not an exact colour swap.  Similar to the 80's Devils, Taylor outlines the stripes on the dark jersey in white, then leaves the outline white to disappear on the white jersey.  Pair that with a Bruins style yoke, and you've got yourself a great jersey.  Also the fonts look good, the logos choice is good, execution's good, there's nothing for me to complain about.
Rating:  9/10

*But wait.  This concept already appeared here a couple months ago.  I'm not sure why it's back, maybe Taylor accidentally sent in twice, or maybe Ryan accidentally included it with today's concepts.  Whatever the case, it's back.

New York Americans/Rangers mashup, by Lucas D:
Mashups are always fun.  Here Lucas combines the Rangers with their former rival, the New York Americans.  The logo is very clever, combining the Rangers shape, with elements from the US flag.  Although, I wonder how it would look with a couple more stars.  The jersey itself also looks good, the Rangers yoke pairs well with the stripes from the American flag.  Maybe those stripes could be a bit thicker, there's some room before they would start to crowd the numbers.
Rating:  8/10

Arizona Coyotes, by Ryan C:
No team has ever used a vintage white jersey more than just a special event, but Ryan proposes a vintage white (or sand) jersey for the Yotes.  I like that idea, it would be something completely unique to the Coyotes.  Besides that, while there's absolutely nothing wrong with this concept, there's also nothing I personally think is an improvement over their current set.  The striping pattern and numbers both look good, but both are more generic.  I do like the wordmark/coyote combo, I just don't like it enough for a full-time set, I think it would be better suited for an alternate.
Rating:  7/10

Team Sweden, by Lucas D:
Ahhhhh!  A Sweden concept without their three crowns as the primary logo, I didn't even think it was possible.  Kidding aside, I quite like this concept.  The logo is a silhouette of the lion in the Coat of arms of Swedish Monarch, and I think it looks good.  The striping is also nice, you can't go wrong using a classic triple stripe pattern for Sweden.  The three crowns have a new home in the hem stripes, kind of reminiscent of the Nordiques and their fleur-de-lis.  I think I like the crowns in the stripes, my only concern is from a distance it will just look like there are weird gaps.
Rating:  8/10

New York Islanders, by Ryan C:
Should the Islanders use their alternate NY logo full time?  Ryan makes a strong case for it here, by pairing that logo with a lovely angled striping pattern.  Angled stripes sometimes feel like a gimmick, but they look great on this concept.  The darker blue is also a good choice, it (along with the logo and stripes) make this concept look modern without trying too hard.  I think a more modern font, like what's on their current third jersey, would make this concept perfect.
Rating:  9/10

Marathon Argos, by Chris W:
I'm a sucker for jerseys with unique patterns, the Hurricanes, Coyotes, and Thrashers original jerseys all have a fond place in my heart, so it shouldn't surprise you that I like this concept by Chris.  He created a concept team called the Marathon Argos, inspired by the story of Jason and the Argonauts in Greek mythology.  The primary logo is an amazing depiction of their ship the Argo, and the secondary logo is a nice spartan helmet inspired by this design.  The jerseys are great as well, and not only because of the ancient Greek pattern on the arms, I also love the number font.  Even the pants look fantastic.  It's clear a lot of thought and effort went into this concept.
Rating:  10/10 and a COTW nomination!

---------------------------------------------------

That's all folks!
Friday: Great Concepts Reviewed by Steven Grant on March 18, 2016 Rating: 5

9 comments:

Taylor Roy said...

Yup that was my bad. I sent in a bunch of WCHA jerseys that I re-did and I guess I forgot I already sent it in.

COTW to Chris W

Taylor Roy said...

There should also be a Ferris State concept on the docket in the next few days that I already sent in. Again, my apologies.

winnipegjets96 said...

I'll 2nd Chris W. for COTW

Ryan said...

I love the efforts from Matt & Chris today!
COTW nom to Matt G!

Matt G said...

I guess I should've put "altered" instead of "created", but they're vectors and not designated as sports logos. Also, I changed the colors on all of them, and changed the number on the helmet to the "I" for Indianapolis, so I did a little more than just add the type...if you want to get technical about it. In defense of the away jersey, I went with the off-white instead of a dark color because just about every team features their dark colors and I wanted to try something different. Thanks Ryan! I'll third Chris W while I'm at it.

Steven Grant said...

@Matt G: Yes, I think "altered" would've been the right choice. Also, I was including changing the number to the "I" as changing the wording, and I didn't think recolouring a logo could be considered creating a logo.

But don't take my review too harshly, I wasn't accusing you of trying to trick us or anything, I just thought the wording wasn't right.

Caz said...

I love this concept from Chris W. That's really great, detailed work! I'll third his nomination.

Vaughn Roberts said...

I'll nominate Ryan Christensen's Arizona concept

Chris Weidler said...

I have two more teams made up for the GLHA series. The Chicago Huskies and the Ann Arbor Blues. If anyone has any ideas for teams I am open for suggestions. Only stipulations is that they must be in a state or province that borders the great lakes.

All Rights Reserved by HockeyJerseyConcepts © 2014 - 2015
Powered By Blogger, Designed by Sweetheme

(c)2017 HockeyJerseyConcepts.com

Name

Email *

Message *

Powered by Blogger.